I have had this blog topic on my mind for a very long time. I am a firm believer in moving my body and getting exercise. I find that when I exercise, it clears my mind and feeds my soul. I also find when I exercise I eat better and sleep better. I love walking outside, beautiful scene taken on my walk today!
I am going to give you my top 10 tips for moving and what I have learned along the way.
I would love to hear about your exercise routine and please feel free to ask any questions.
Before you start any exercise program, please make sure you have been cleared by your doctor.
- Do something, thats right just get moving, walking, biking swimming. Start where you are and add as you get stronger.
- Make sure you have comfortable shoes, go to a running store to get fitted properly, the wrong shoes will create problems...shoes or equipment is an investment in your health.
- I always regret not working out, so I try to make sure to get it in even when my schedule gets crazy.
- Find a friend, I was a runner, but after knee surgery 2 years ago I could only walk, so I started walking with friends. It is a great way to catch up and I am moving.
- Don't over due it, if you are tired take a recovery day, your body will thank you and your gains come during recovery.
- Plan your work outs for the week. I try to get 3-4 classes in at a local gym and 1-2 walks a week. If the weather is bad or too hot I walk in my house or go to a mall.
- Involve your kids, both human and furry if possible. When my boys were younger I would run to a playground and then they got to play.
- If you get injured, rest and ice your injured body part.
- Thermacare warm patches are always in my house, they are great to wear on my back all day if I have overdone it and my muscles are tight.
- Have fun, find something that you enjoy doing and you will stick with it.
Move your body to clear your mind and feed your soul!
The secret of getting ahead is getting started. -Mark Twain